[AG-TECH] Hardware
Enrique López
2013-11-26 21:06:38 UTC
Hello.

We're interested to implement an Access Grid Room and We have find out that
some hardware doesn't exist in our country.

Please we need your help to validate these new models of cards.

Hardware

Display Computer.

Matrox G450 Dual Head AGP graphics adapter

Matrox G200 QuadPCI Graphics adapter

Video capture Computer

Product ID: PEXHDCAP

PCI Express HD Video Capture Card 1080p30 – HDMI / DVI / VGA / Component

Best Regards,

Enrique López

CEDIA (National Reserch and Education Network of Ecuador)
Christoph Willing
2013-11-26 23:24:12 UTC
Post by Enrique López
Hello.
We're interested to implement an Access Grid Room and We have find out that some hardware doesn't exist in our country.
Please we need your help to validate these new models of cards.
Hardware
Display Computer.
Matrox G450 Dual Head AGP graphics adapter
Matrox G200 QuadPCI Graphics adapter
Those graphics cards use very old technology - so old that it would now be difficult to purchase a new machine that has an AGP slot (for the G450). You'll probably find machines that still have a PCI slot suitable for the G200 but this is also a very old card and I wouldn't recommend it for a new system.

Just about all modern graphics cards use PCIe interface (like the capture card below). Some of the Nvidia "nvs" models can provide 4x outputs from a single card; also the K5000 (which is quite expensive). We often use 2 graphics cards like Nvidia K600 or K2000, each with 2x outputs, to achieve 4x outputs altogether.
Post by Enrique López
Video capture Computer
Product ID: PEXHDCAP
PCI Express HD Video Capture Card 1080p30 – HDMI / DVI / VGA / Component
I don't have experience with this capture card but notice that is has PCIe interface i.e. for a modern machine, which definitely will not have an AGP slot and maybe not even a plain PCI slot for those Matrox cards you mentioned.

chris
Christoph Willing +61 7 3365 8316
Research Computing Centre
University of Queensland
Jason Bell
2013-11-26 23:30:31 UTC
G'day Enrique
I thought I would provide some information in regards to Access Grid Hardware.
Firstly, the good thing about the Access Grid software is that it runs on commodity hardware. Therefore, it should run on any hardware I including a laptop.
Now that being said, with the inclusion of HD capture cards and cameras, the hardware needs to be powerful to handle the CPU load of the HD streams.
Anyway in an effort to assist in highlights hardware that are known to work, I upgraded my AG equipment at the start of this year with the following equipment.
Display Machine - Dell Precision T3600 details

* 2.4GHz Quad-core CPU or better
* 16GB of Memory
* 500GB or more HD
* Dual x 1 GB NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Capture Machine - Dell Precision T3500 details

* 2.4GHz Quad-core CPU or better
* 2.4GHz Quad-core CPU or better
* 16GB of Memory
* 500GB or more HD
* Single x 1 GB NVIDIA Quadro 2000
Also, I thought I would paste some information in regards to HD equipment.

HD Stuff for Access Grid

In regards to HD equipment, there are a few options.

Capture Cards
There are 2 options that I have used and recommend (depends on the output types of Camera)
· Blackmagic Intensity Pro ( http://www.blackmagic-design.com/au/products/intensity/models/ ) which does HDMI capture; or
· Blackmagic DeckLink SDI ( http://www.blackmagic-design.com/au/products/decklink/models/ ) which does SDI capture;
Cameras
· You can use a simple "Handy Cam" that has HDMI output. For example I am using a Sony HDR-HC9 on my "Jastest" machine.
· I am also using a PTZ (Pan/Tilt/Zoom) Sony EVI-HD1 camera that has SDI output (http://www.sony.com.au/product/resources/en_AU/pdf/brochures/industrial_cameras/Sony_EVIHD1_brochure.pdf ) - to give you an idea in regards to costs, this camera is just under $5K (including GST).
Therefore, using the examples above, the "handy cam's" with HDMI output will use the Blackmagic Intentisy Pro card. The Sony EVI-HD1 will use a Blackmagic DeckLink SDI card.

Obviously you will also need cables depending on the input/output being used. The advantage of using SDI, is that you can use simple coaxial cables, which makes cabling back to the capture card a lot easier.

Note: You will need to capture card for each HD camera. For example, in the case of using 3 cameras, you will need to use 3 capture cards. The capture cards mentioned above are only single capture devices. I have heard some people talking about multiple input HD capture cards, but I currently have no experience in this area.

Hope this information helps.

Many regards,
Jason.