[AG-TECH] APAG & AccessGrid server upgrade
Christoph Willing
2014-02-21 00:47:59 UTC
Hi all,

We're currently transitioning the APAG and AccessGrid.org venue servers and bridges from a number of pretty old machines into virtualised systems on somewhat newer hardware. Some of this is already done (hopefully so smoothly that no one noticed anything), some still to be done.

What has already been done:
- all the AccessGrid.org related machines. A new bridge is running with name "AccessGrid.ORG" to distinguish it from the old "AccessGrid.org" which I left running for a while in case the new system didn't work. Its been running for a few days without any apparent problem during local testing. It would be appreciated if anyone has time to test it further - purge your bridge cache to find the new bridge and then use it for a while (and report any problems)
- new AudioReflector (in both APAG & AccessGrid.org servers' "Service Lobby") is up & running

Still to be done:
- although the APAG server vm is built (and running with a different ip address while testing), I wanted to delay final change over to a convenient (or least inconvenient) time for everyone. I'd normally do it at a weekend but thats not possible this weekend, so I'm suggesting Monday 24th morning (Brisbane time). Please let me know if thats a bad time e.g. if anyone has a meeting scheduled around then, otherwise there'll be a down time of hopefully less than half an hour of all APAG services.

chris

Christoph Willing +61 7 3365 8316
Research Computing Centre
University of Queensland
Christoph Willing

University of Queensland
Jason Bell
2014-03-25 01:52:27 UTC
Chris

Been meaning to ask - in the event of the update, did the IP addresses of the Unicast bridges change at all?

Regards,
Jason.

University of Queensland
Christoph Willing
2014-03-25 02:28:47 UTC
Everything about the APAG services remains the same.

The IP address of the AccessGrid.org bridge has changed - a purge of the bridge cache should find it.

The last step in the upgrade is the physical relocation to another building of the machine providing the services. It was to have been done last weekend but that didn't work out and my current plan is to do the move late afternoon or evening on day this week. At the moment, I'm planning it for Wednesday 26th (tomorrow) at 4pm Brisbane time (5pm AEDT) - hoping that will be late enough not to disrupt any running AG sessions. The move will entail an outage of all AccessGrid.org and APAG services for approximately half an hour.

If anyone will be inconvenienced by an outage at that time, please let us know as soon as possible so we can organise another time (probably same time Thursday 27th).

There'll be no further change of IP addresses, or anything else, due to the physical move of the hardware. Everything should just work!

chris
University of Queensland
Jason Bell
2014-03-25 02:31:09 UTC
Chris

I think the issue here is that some old firewall rules (for other sites) where in place for the APAG bridge, but when the ip-address change, this no longer works.

Cheers,
Jason.

University of Queensland
Christoph Willing

University of Queensland
Gurcharan S. Khanna
2014-04-24 18:10:05 UTC
hi,

apologies if i haven't been keeping up, but i am looking for the right version
of vic to use with Windows 7 that supports up to 720p resolution video. all
the versions i've tried so far crashes when trying anything beyond standard
definition. the input camera is a built-in one on a Lenova All in One computers.
all i need is the binary for vic, i don't need any other parts of access grid.

thanks for your help!

-gurcharan
--
Gurcharan S. Khanna, Ph.D.
Director of Research Computing

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments,
is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or the taking of any action in reliance
upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this information in error,
please contact the sender and immediately destroy any copies of this
information, including attachments
John I Quebedeaux Jr
2014-04-24 20:22:32 UTC
Hey Gurcharan,

Hmm…. the vic with the windows xp bundled installer on the ag website shows version 2.8ucl1.4.0beta (GPL) and it’s the one i’m using with the Blackmagic intensity capture card with HD/SDI at 720p/50hz usually.

Caveat is if i quit it and start it without a decent pause, it will crash the windows system when using the blackmagic capture cards. But that’s a known issue.

I used the same vic recently with a logitech camera at 720p just the other day, i believe, with no problems but i haven’t used it on a Lenova… (don’t have those).

No idea if that helps or not.

-John
--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.; Computer Manager LBRN
Louisiana State University; Biological Sciences; 437 Life Sciences Bldg.
Gurcharan S. Khanna
2014-04-24 21:03:43 UTC
john,

thanks for the feedback. this corroborates my memory that the XP vers=
ion
sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. i thought maybe there were som=
tricks to insure that it always worked. i'm trying to get our campuse=
s in
Croatia to send us video streams for ImagineRIT on May 3, so i have t=
o rely
on them to set this up with minimal effort. we will replace vic event=
ually
for our campus wide 'grid' but meanwhile, it's our default video tran=
smitter.

thanks for feedback!

-gurcharan
Post by John I Quebedeaux Jr
Hey Gurcharan,
Hmm=85. the vic with the windows xp bundled installer on the ag web=
site shows version 2.8ucl1.4.0beta (GPL) and it=92s the one i=92m usi=
Post by John I Quebedeaux Jr
Caveat is if i quit it and start it without a decent pause, it will=
crash the windows system when using the blackmagic capture cards. Bu=
t that=92s a known issue.
Post by John I Quebedeaux Jr
I used the same vic recently with a logitech camera at 720p just th=
e other day, i believe, with no problems but i haven=92t used it on a=
Lenova=85 (don=92t have those).
Post by John I Quebedeaux Jr
No idea if that helps or not.
-John
--
Post by John I Quebedeaux Jr
all i need is the binary for vic, i don't need any other parts of =
access grid.
Post by John I Quebedeaux Jr
thanks for your help!
-gurcharan
--=20
Post by John I Quebedeaux Jr
information, including attachments
------------------------------------------------------------------=
------------
Post by John I Quebedeaux Jr
Get Started Now And Turn Your Intranet Into A Collaboration Platfo=
rm
http://p.sf.net/sfu/ExoPlatform

,
John I Quebedeaux Jr
2014-04-24 21:09:27 UTC
Gurcharan,

For me it’s the bundled one that has all the parts needed when using windows. :-)

hope it works for you!

-John Q.
john,
thanks for the feedback. this corroborates my memory that the XP version
sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. i thought maybe there were some