[AG-TECH] Access Grid on CGLX/Ubuntu 12.04
Ian Kaufman
2013-04-10 17:34:55 UTC
Hi all,

Long time, no post :) I used to be involved in the community a few years
back when I was at LBNL/NERSC from 2000 - 2006, being the POC for NERSC's
"portable in the military sense" AGN.

I have since taken a position aty the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC
San Diego, and got involved in ROCKS, CGLX and OptIPortals. I have also
been playing with such tools as Perceus and Warewulf, and building up
stateless clusters that run in RAM. I am now interested in seeing whether
or not I can get the AG software to run on a multi-tiled display I manage,
running CGLX, using Perceus 1.6 and Ubuntu 12.04 with the 3.5 kernel.

So, my questions are - has AG software been tested with CGLX, and, based on
earlier research into it, has Ubuntu support improved.(i.e. has the
incompatible version of Twisted in Ubuntu 12.04 been resolved)?

Thanks,

Ian

--
Ian Kaufman
Research Systems Administrator
UC San Diego, Jacobs School of Engineering ikaufman AT ucsd DOT edu
Christoph Willing
2013-04-10 22:56:09 UTC
Ian,

Thats an interesting project you have in mind. We have an OptIPortal here at UQ and we used to run it with Rocks and CGLX a few years ago - now using SAGE pretty much all the time. In fact I visited CALIT2 on your campus at that time and met Joe OKeefe, Larry and lots of others. Around that time Larry also visited here and I did a mini tour with him to Canberra where he did an opening event for ANU's OptIPortal, as well as a big event for politicians etc. to promote a national optical fibre broadband scheme. Larry was the guest speaker and also gave a demo of the OptIPortal. For that event, we used CGLX running in Rocks on a "portable" 5x3 OptIPortal (belonging to AARNet but built here in our lab). At that time, moving the OptIportal onto a different network wasn't really supported and I still recall the slight panic of having to reinstall _everything_ about 2 hours before the event was supposed to start. It all went well in the end ...

Anyway, because we're also AG enthusiasts here, I gave a fair bit of thought about how to integrate AG with CGLX but it never came to anything. We've had more success with AG and SAGE. SInce SAGE is based largely on streaming, we just run the AG VenueClient anywhere (not on the cluster itself) and stream the desktop of that machine to the OptIPortal. Its a real network hog for a large desktop (or 3x desktops as equivalent of a projected display system) but we have an internal 10G network for that and in works pretty well in that environment.

The issue with twisted on Ubuntu is complicated by its dependence on particular python versions and by the dependence of various desktop tools & apps on both python and twisted - we'd have to supply so many different replacement versions of apps, it would almost be like respinning a new distribution. However I think just about all of the VenueClient functionality is available the way things are - the problem (from memory) is with the Venue Server; if you don't need to run the server, then you're probably OK. One thing I hadn't thought about, is whether twisted/python changes might be more doable on the Ubuntu server release (rather than the desktop release which we use as base right now) - the dependency considerations would probably be a lot less fraught in the server distribution. I'll be looking at making packages for 12.04 fairly soon, so at the same time I'll look at how a server based version could work too.

Let me know if you make any progress in the meantime - we've been interested in both AG and OptIPortals for quite a while.

chris

On 11/04/2013, at 3:34 AM, Ian Kaufman <***@eng.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Long time, no post :) I used to be involved in the community a few years back when I was at LBNL/NERSC from 2000 - 2006, being the POC for NERSC's "portable in the military sense" AGN.
>
> I have since taken a position aty the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego, and got involved in ROCKS, CGLX and OptIPortals. I have also been playing with such tools as Perceus and Warewulf, and building up stateless clusters that run in RAM. I am now interested in seeing whether or not I can get the AG software to run on a multi-tiled display I manage, running CGLX, using Perceus 1.6 and Ubuntu 12.04 with the 3.5 kernel.
>
> So, my questions are - has AG software been tested with CGLX, and, based on earlier research into it, has Ubuntu support improved.(i.e. has the incompatible version of Twisted in Ubuntu 12.04 been resolved)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian
>
> --
> Ian Kaufman
> Research Systems Administrator
> UC San Diego, Jacobs School of Engineering ikaufman AT ucsd DOT edu

Christoph Willing +61 7 3365 8316
Research Computing Centre
University of Queensland
Ian Kaufman
2013-04-10 23:22:12 UTC
Hi Chris,

I actually found your old slides regarding the different tiled display tech
and AG. I have worked closely with Joe, Phil, Mason, Anoop and Greg, but
with Mason leaving UC and into the "real world", the Viz roll has pretty
much died out. I have also had some fun and candid moments with Larry.

I know the lead dev for Warewulf from my days at LBNL/NERSC, which is how I
stumbled onto Perceus and Warewulf. I like it much better as I fell it has
much greater flexibility (and supported Ubuntu) over ROCKS. ROCKS might be
a bit easier to build a cluster with from the ground up, but I find
maintaining a cluster with Perceus and Warewulf much nicer. You use images,
almost like playing with VMs. I can create node images for CGLX, SAGE,
whatever, and deploy them via command line and reboot. I can even split my
wall into half CGLX and half SAGE. Calit2 (now called Qualcomm Institute
BTW) has some other display tech they use, and they are very interested in
how I am running my wall - I need to sit down with Joe and Falko Kuester to
discuss migrating some systems from ROCKS to Perceus or Warewulf.

My current wall is made up of SuperMicro based 2U 2 node twins for the
tiles - they currently have 24G of RAM, but we can easily (and cheaply)
move to 48G if needed, a single 3.2GHz X5672 Xeon, no hard drives, and an
nVidia GTX 670 wth 2G VRAM. They also have on board QDR IB should we need
the bandwidth. The OS runs in RAM and the OS image is around 700 MB.

The head is a similar system, but a single 2U with 24GB RAM, 3.6GHz and
mirrored SSDs for the OS. We also have an ASUS Xonar DGX PCIe card (the
reason for using the 3.5 kernel). We have a 3U ZFS based storage system,
half populated, with about 10T RAIDZ2. Both are without IB for now, but can
be added later as needed. So, for now, we have GigE, but it seems to handle
4K video fairly well. I can also get 10G to the heads if needed.

Anyway, we'll do some small scale testing first, see what we can get going.
And, then we'll see about getting some more dedicated AG hardware for
video/audio capture and management. I'll do my best to keep you updated.

Ian

Gurcharan S. Khanna
2013-04-17 20:48:24 UTC
hi,

does anyone know the successful way to get an HD version of vic
working under Windows 7? i only need to run it from the command
line not via the Access Grid package. i have the versions from U. Washington
and Queensland but they don't quite work (they call the bits to the machine
but no video at all is shown). any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

-gurcharan

On 4/10/13 1:34 PM, Ian Kaufman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Long time, no post :) I used to be involved in the community a few years back when I was at
> LBNL/NERSC from 2000 - 2006, being the POC for NERSC's "portable in the military sense" AGN.
>
> I have since taken a position aty the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego, and got
> involved in ROCKS, CGLX and OptIPortals. I have also been playing with such tools as Perceus and
> Warewulf, and building up stateless clusters that run in RAM. I am now interested in seeing
> whether or not I can get the AG software to run on a multi-tiled display I manage, running CGLX,
> using Perceus 1.6 and Ubuntu 12.04 with the 3.5 kernel.
>
> So, my questions are - has AG software been tested with CGLX, and, based on earlier research into
> it, has Ubuntu support improved.(i.e. has the incompatible version of Twisted in Ubuntu 12.04
> been resolved)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian
>
> --
> Ian Kaufman
> Research Systems Administrator
> UC San Diego, Jacobs School of Engineering ikaufman AT ucsd DOT edu

--
Gurcharan S. Khanna, Ph.D.
Director of Research Computing

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments,
is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or the taking of any action in reliance
upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this information in error,
please contact the sender and immediately destroy any copies of this
information, including attachments
Jason Bell
2013-04-18 03:47:53 UTC
Gurcharan

Are you able to install the software via the GUI? If so, I recommend installing the "bundle version". You can get the bundle version from the "Software section on the AG website - or directly from http://www.mcs.anl.gov/fl/research/accessgrid/software/releases?file=AG3.2_bundled_installer_v3_3.exe.

The reason why I suggest the "bundle", is that it contains two different types of "video services". There are "standard" and "HD" versions of the various AG Video Services. Within the "HD" services, they contain a "vic" executable the additional support for the HD codec's. Therefore, it you installed the AG software, then grab "vic.exe" from one of the C:\Program Files (x86)\AGTk-3\NodeServices\*HD.zip files. Once you have done this, you should be able to launch "vic" from the command line and hopefully you should be able to stream and receive HD videos.

I haven't tried this personally, but I would think it "should" work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jason.

P.S. If you do want to launch the Venue Client, have a look at http://www.accessgrid.org/node/1976 to get it working under windows 7.

Jason Bell
2013-04-18 06:37:24 UTC
David - you can change a preference file [not sure offhand] (or adjust the setting from the GUI) to disable the multicast beacon - which causes python to crash.

Regards,
Jason.

I've just tried what Jason suggested: installed the bundle, unzip C:\Program Files (x86)\AGTk-3\NodeServices\VideoServiceHD.zip, then in a terminal go to where I unzipped that file and run the vic.exe with address and port. I didn't try transmitting, but receiving worked fine.

If it matters to you, python crashed the AG client a few seconds after joining a venue, so you might need another way to get the multicast addresses you need.

David

> [...]

Gurcharan S. Khanna, Ph.D.
Director of Research Computing
Office of the Vice President for Research Assistant Research Professor, GCCIS Ph.D. Program Director, Interactive Collaboration Laboratory Rochester Institute of Technology
Phone: 585-475-7504 ~ Cell: 585-451-8370 http://rc.rit.edu http://rc.rit.edu/directions.html

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or the taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the sender and immediately destroy any copies of this information, including attachments

Precog is a next-generation analytics platform capable of advanced analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for building apps and a phenomenal toolset for data science. Developers can use our toolset for easy data analysis & visualization. Get a free account!
John I Quebedeaux Jr
2013-04-18 11:31:41 UTC
Oops. Jason already said it! My apologies for the duplicate post...

-----
John Q @ LSU via iPhone

David Allingham
2013-04-18 06:35:06 UTC

John I Quebedeaux Jr
2013-04-18 11:30:57 UTC
If you don't have multicast, before you join a venue server disable the multicast beacon in your preferences should fix the crash issue...

-----
John Q @ LSU via iPhone

Lloyd Pearson
2013-04-18 21:23:31 UTC
Hello Jason and others,

We've run the AG3.2 bundled installer v3.3 on several WinXP PC's since it was released and had no significant problems. However it is PC replacement time and we are experimenting with Win7 32bit and 64bit.
On both versions of Win7, I'm seeing VIC display problems: With more than one camera on display, there are random flashes of video from other VIC's showing on each VIC. E.g. On VIC A, there will be about ¼ of a screen from VIC B doing a momentary flash. The flashes may be as frequent as 1-2 per second or 1-2 per minute. I've seen this pattern on an HP Elitebook8560W and a Dell Precision T5600 in both 32bit and 64bit versions. I've also heard audio dropouts in a similar but unrelated pattern, though have done very little audio testing while monitoring the video during these tests.

Has anyone seen similar problems? Has anyone any cures?

Are there any other problems when running Win7 apart from the need to disable the multicast beacon?

Regards,

Lloyd Pearson
eConferencing Specialist
Teaching & Learning Facilities, ITS
University of Otago
Dunedin
New Zealand

Ph +64 3 479 8997
***@otago.ac.nz

John I Quebedeaux Jr
2013-04-18 21:31:42 UTC
We've had this issue before.

Look at your video card drivers. I have to check when I'm back in the office what version driver on our nvidia cards but that was our issue. Don't let Microsoft replace the drivers either with an update. Had issue there too.

-----
John Q @ LSU via iPhone