[AG-TECH] Decklink SDI capture card - SD captuer issues
Jason Bell
2014-05-21 23:24:00 UTC
G'day Colleagues (apologies for cross posting)

I am having an issue with an AG system that I recently converted to Windows 7 and I am having some issues with capturing 'SD' Video on a brand new (well never been opned) Decklink SDI capture card.

I have installed the latest 'decklink' drivers, but unfortunately I cannot get it to detect when any SD input is connected.

Therefore, I have some comments/questions that I am hoping the AG community can assist me with.

* The capture card appears to be working fine, as I connected it to a Sony HD1 camera and it worked fine (But this was 'loaned' for another AG system);

* I have tried connecting it to three different - Sony EVID 100 Cameras and one Panasonic Cameras (Panasonic WVCP240 CTV Colour Camera) without success;

* Unfortunately the other IVCE-8784 do not have windows 7 drivers - so I don't have other options;

* Has anyone used a Decklink SDI capture card to capture SD video on a windows system before? I am wondering this, just in case the latest drivers is what might be causing me by grief;

* Does anyone recommend a good 'Windows' 7 capture card that accepts SD video. A single input is suffice.

Thanks in advance,
Jason.

Jason Bell (B.I.T. Honours)
Senior Research Technologies Officer | Information and Technology Directorate
Video Collaboration Champion & eResearch Analyst | Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation (QCIF)
CQUniversity Rockhampton, Building 19 Room 1.07, Bruce Highway, Rockhampton QLD 4702
P +61 (7) 4930 9229 (x9229) | M +61 409 630 897 | E ***@cqu.edu.au<mailto:***@cqu.edu.au>

[cid:***@01CF759E.20EBF190]<http://www.cqu.edu.au/social-media>
[cid:***@01CF759E.20EBF190] <http://www.cqu.edu.au/comprehensive>
Griebel, Keith
2014-05-22 00:09:04 UTC
Hi Jason,

I believe the issue you are running into is that the SD capability of the Decklink SDI capture card is limited to (SD-)SDI signals only. To my knowledge it will not accept analog signals. So when you see NTSC and PAL as resolution options in the driver configuration, it is referring to the SDI (digital) version of those signals... I suppose you could install a converter, such as Blackmagic's Analog to SDI mini-converter (4th one on the list at http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/miniconverters/models) or similar, but honestly I think it would be cheaper and more straightforward to just purchase (barter?) an analog capture card. The one we regularly use for a single SD capture into AG (actually alongside 3 Decklink SDI cards in the same capture machine) is the fairly old but very reliable Viewcast Osprey 100, which is pretty cheap (<$200 USD new) and have Windows 7 drivers here http://www.ospreyvideo.com/support/downloads (32bit or 64bit). I know some shops have these just lying around from the old analog capture days...

Hope that helps!
Keith

Keith Griebel
Communications Technician / SDSU DDN Site Coordinator
Classroom Technology Services
South Dakota State University
Pugsley Center 205A, Box 2218A
Brookings, SD 57007

Phone: 605.688.6111

[Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:85EC7C23-30ED-4B35-AF92-A4F1331360C9]<http://www.cqu.edu.au/social-media>
[cid:EDD230D6-BC0B-45EA-B2AC-0EAB8271B4A5] <http://www.cqu.edu.au/comprehensive>
Khanh Ly
2014-05-22 04:10:44 UTC
Hi Jason,
Just to give you some of our experience:

Currently we use Sony EVI-H100S camera with SDI output and Declink SDI capture card on Windows 7 x64 without any problem. Our applications including AG, SeeVogh, Skype, Adobe Connect, GotoMeeting …

In the past we use Sony EVI-D70P cameras with the Opsrey 460e (4 PAL inputs) and windows 7 x64 and the system is working excellent. My experience with the other Opsrey card as Opsrey 100 (one video input) is very good as well.

Regards

Khanh

Khanh Ly
Computer Support Officer
iVEC @ UWA
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway, M024, CRAWLEY WA 6009
Ph: +61 8 6488 8743 Fax: +61 8 6488 8088
Mob: 0468 519 180
Email: ***@uwa.edu.au<mailto:***@uwa.edu.au>
Web: www.ivec.uwa.edu.au<http://www.ivec.uwa.edu.au>

<image001.png><http://www.cqu.edu.au/social-media>